Saturday, January 7, 2017

Blueberry Thyme Corn Muffins

When you have a newborn baby, eating changes. Sure sure, everything changes. I get it. But for me, one of the craziest changes was the way that I eat. I no longer savor meals that I've lovingly prepared. I shovel giagantic mouthfuls of sustenance down the old gullet as quickly as possible. I'm frantically hoping that I survive until my next meal. But then...slowly...very, very slowly...the fog begins to lift a little bit. Baby starts sleeping more and everything seems slightly less terrifying. Then one morning, baby goes down for a nap and there is no laundry. There are no dishes. I slept well last night. And, most surprising, I am showered. What do I do now? My mind immediately turned to food. And not just any food. My favorite kind of food: the food I serve to the people I love. We area heading over to Revi and Lee's house for brunch where we will get to introduce baby Florie to Amy and Lenny, who are the stellar and longsuffering parents to Josh and Alex. Kelaine will be there too, but that's ok. Obviously there is no time to go to the store and I don't think the baby monitor reaches that far anyway. I've got a garden full of herbs, a pint of blueberries and a stocked pantry. I didn't want anything too sweet and I wanted to mix herbs and berries to make things interesting. This idea just called out to me, so here goes nothing.

Blueberry Thyme Corn Muffins
Ingredients
I cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
1 egg
2 Tbs. honey
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup blueberries
2 tsps. fresh thyme leaves

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and grease your muffin tins. I am using this super cute baby bundt pan from Aunt Kiki.
2. Mix together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

3. Melt the butter and allow to cool slightly. Add in the egg, honey, sugar, and buttermilk. This will look like a curdled mess. Not to worry.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix to just combine. It can still be a bit lumpy. You don't want to over mix.
5. Add the blueberries and the thyme leaves and stir through. If you don't have fresh thyme, you can substitute 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
6. Drop the batter into the muffin tins. You can fill them up because they won't rise very much. They are dense and delicious corn muffins after all.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes or so before turning them out.
Enjoy!!

Obligatory picture of me with the world's cutest hairball:

No comments:

Post a Comment