Monday, December 5, 2011

Baked Chicken with Mushroom Sauce

Mushrooms are a food that skew very winter-y for me. When I cook them down in butter and white wine, I am in cozy heaven. Smother a crispy chicken thigh with it and it is true bliss. This dinner is simple to prepare and totally delicious. I bake the chicken in the oven and while it is baking, I make a simple mushroom sauce on the stove. When the chicken is finished, I top it with the sauce for a great meal. The weather hasn't seemed super December-ish as of late, but that does bother me one bit. I will cook cozy food and still get to keep my winter hats in storage. Win-win. Baked Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients:
4 chicken leg quarters
1 Tbs. butter
1 package mushrooms
1 medium onion
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine
salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Place chicken leg quarters on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. I like to actually put a wire cooling rack on top of my baking sheet and put the chicken on top of that so that it gets crispy all around. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes, until crispy and cooked through.
2. To make the mushroom sauce, heat 1 Tbs. butter and 1 Tbs. olive oil. in a pan.
3. Add chopped onions and sliced mushrooms to the pan and allow to cook for 8 minutes until they start to get nice and caramelized.
4. After they start to get caramelized, add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Then add the white wine and cook on a low simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove the cooked chicken from the oven and admire how crispy it is.
6. Top the chicken with your mushroom sauce and serve.

One Year Ago: Super Ginger-iest Ginger Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment