Friday, December 3, 2010

Super Ginger-iest Ginger Cookies

Ginger cookies might be my most favorite cookies (please don't tell Oatmeal Raisin I said that). There is something about spicy ginger and sweet molasses that makes me weak in the knees. Obviously ginger snaps are so popular because because ginger and molasses work so well together, but my heart isn't really into them. I am a soft, chewy cookie girl. These are perfectly chewy with a kick of spice from the ginger. I used an All-Recipe.com ginger cookie recipe as a template, but I made a lot of changes because I wanted them to be Super Ginger caliber. We are doing a cookie swap for my family Hanukkah celebration this year instead of a traditional Yankee Swap and I am making these. I hope everyone likes them.
Super Ginger-iest Ginger Cookies
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
3 Tbs. freshly grated ginger
1 1/4 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup molasses

1. The most important part of these cookies is the fresh ginger. You need it to be finely grated so use a microplane or the tiny side of a box grater.
2. Cream together butter, oil, and sugar until airy and smooth. Then add 1 Tbs. flour, ginger and egg and continue to cream until airy. Adding the flour keeps the batter from curdling.
3. Add the molasses, spices, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add flours and stir until just combined.
5. Drop large, 2 Tbs. dollops onto a lined cookie tray and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until just lightly browned on the edges and very soft at the center.
Danger...they will spread!
6. Allow the cookies to cool on a rack and store in airtight containers until you eat them all up.
I hope you LOVE them as much as I do.

1 comment: