My buddy Kelaine ran the Rock and Roll Marathon this weekend and the route took the runners right down North Cap. Street past my house. I figured that the chances I'd see her run by were like one in a million, but I went down anyway to cheer the runners along. I'd been standing there less than 2 minutes when I saw that blond ponytail bouncing by. I think I woke the entire NE jumping up and down and cheering like a total maniac. KC did an awesome job running, so I needed to reward her with a delicious, but replenishing dinner the next day. This salad was part of the menu. The sour grapefruit is the perfect balance to the creamy avocado and the almonds give a great crunch. I love that this salad feels hearty, so you don't leave feeling like you just had a meal that wouldn't fill up a rabbit. However, each ingredient is supremely healthy so you can eat as much as you want. It does a body good. The salad holds up nicely to the light dressing, so this would be a great side dish at any dinner party or would make a great light lunch by itself.
Grapefruit Avocado Salad
1 bag baby spinach
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl set out your baby spinach.
2. Lightly dress the salad with olive oil and vinegar and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss to coat all the leaves.
3. Slice the grapefruit into sections and then chop into bite-size pieces.
4. Slice the avocado into bite-sized pieces too. I do this in the shell and then scoop out the pieces with a spoon.
5. Add the grapefruit, avocado, and sliced almonds to the spinach.
6. Toss the salad together and chill until you are ready to serve.
One Year Ago: Orecchette Pasta with Minced Clams