Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pickled Radishes

Corcoran Street is overflowing with radishes! More radishes than we can shake a stick at. Don’t worry, I haven’t run off with Wembley Fraggle and moved into Fraggle Rock – it’s my garden and it is bursting at the seams with leafy tops hiding plump red radishes lurking right beneath the surface.
Let me tell ya, once they start popping up, they keep on coming. These pickled beauties are delicious in a salad, sandwich, and in Latin or Asian dishes. Now maybe you don’t have radishes up to your eyeballs, but this pickling recipe is good for plenty of other veggies that you have in abundance. I particularly like pickled beets, squash, asparagus, spicy peppers, and onions.
I like to give containers of pickled veggies to my friends who share my sour-tooth. This batch has Nanette’s name written all over it. This isn’t pickling to store-in-your-basement-for-years-and-years. I keep my pickled veggies in the fridge and they keep up to a month, although mine don’t last that long.

Pickled Radishes
Ingredients:
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons pickling spices
2 bay leaves
3 cups slice radishes1. Heat vinegar, sugar, salt, and pickling spices on medium heat for 5 minutes until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
Pickling spice is a combination of cloves, peppercorns, ginger, dill, mustard seeds, mace, coriander, and other spices. You can make your own, but you can buy it already made up. That's what I do.
2. Wash the radishes thoroughly and slice them thin.

3. Allow the pickling liquid to cool slightly before pouring it over the radishes.
4. Ladle the radishes and liquid into clean containers.
5. Put them in the fridge to cool and store for up to a month.

Here's the garden at sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment