Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chipotle-Pumpkin Turkey Chili

I had some friends (and coworkers) over for dinner and I whipped up a batch of this amazing chili for them one cold night.  I loved it SO much that I made it again a few days later for my parents when I was home for Thanksgiving. I took leftovers up to my cousin too. This chili really got around! The first batch that I made was not for the faint of heart. I blame Lindsay who was visiting and distracting me with fun stories so that I added a whole can of chipotles and it was smoking hot! The next batch was chipotle-free to be safe because I was serving it to little kids and maybe I erred too much on the side of caution. Every other time I've made it, I've used 2-4 chipotles and it is a great balance of heat and flavor.  The nice thing is that you can adjust the heat you like with the number that you add.  This meal is exactly the thing to warm you up on a cold day and one of the best parts is that it is very easy to whip up. As always, when building a stew, soup, or chili, you want to season each layer of ingredients as you add them with a sprinkle of salt. There is a nice heat and a delicious richness and slight hint of sweetness from the pumpkin. The pumpkin also acts as the thickening agent, so you have a nice, thick chili.  I also think it is super healthy (pumpkins are a vegetable!) so I ate 3 servings each time. Loved it!Chipotle-Pumpkin Turkey Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion
1 bell pepper (whatever color you have)
2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo
1 can sweet corn kernels
1 can navy or kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can pumpkin puree
1 tsp. sugar
1 beer (I usually chose a lager, but I am not above using a PBR)
1 carton low- sodium chicken stock
salt and pepper
canola oil
Garnish:  Sour Cream, Monterrey Jack cheese, diced Avocado, and Lime Wedges

1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a large, heavy-bottom pot over medium high heat. Add the turkey and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper. Allow it to get brown for 4-5 minutes.
2. Chop the onion and pepper and add to the turkey. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper and allow to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the diced tomatoes with their juice and the drained corn and beans. Stir around until well distributed.
4. Finely dice 2-4 chipotles (more if you are daring) and add them to the chili along with beer and chicken stock and another sprikle of salt.
5. Add the can of pumpkin puree and sugar and stir until it is well distributed in the chili.
6. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes, until it is thickened and delicious. Taste and see if it needs any seasoning and add salt if needed.
7. Serve with the garnishes of your choice (hint: Mark likes to add crumbled fritos and it is also amazing!).

One Year Ago: Antipasti Platter

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! (I like your additions, too.) Also I took photos when I made it and then forgot to email them to you. Let me know if you want me to send 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was delicious. Thank you for sharing. Now I know where the leftovers went. Thanks Jane!?#
    I love you! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going out tonight so I made this for Ed it's cooking in the crockpot now! I'm sure he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOST DELICIOUS CHILII! definitely on the spicy side, but absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Use the Embasa peppers. La Morena does not carry the punch--I used 5 of their chipotles and it is not that hot. Still, this recipe is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info, Sweet Sweet Roberto.

    ReplyDelete