Sunday, June 6, 2010

Grapefruit-White Wine Gelato

Making gelato at home is totally pointless when you live in Logan Circle around the corner from Pitango. Even so, I am a lover of pointless kitchen exercises so I embraced this idea for a boozy gelato that I could scoop up and enjoy when it gets too hot to walk around the corner. Despite evidence to the contrary, I do not have a major sweet tooth so I don’t like things that are cloying sweet. This gelato fits the bill because it is tart and zesty but still creamy and light. One more thing...I don't have an ice cream maker. I once saw Nigella Lawson make strawberry ice cream with her food processor and I figured that if it was good enough for the domestic goddess, it would be good enough for me. It turned out perfectly creamy so I will not be investing in an ice cream maker any time soon but I WILL be investing in other flavors of this gelato promptly.
Grapefruit-White Wine Gelato
Ingredients:
1 quart half and half
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 eggs yolks
1 grapefruit
1/2 cup white wine (I used a chenin blanc because I had it, but I think any other non-oaked white wines would work)
1. Heat half and half and sugar on medium heat until it is just about to boil.
2. Zest the grapefruit and add the zest to the milk while it is warming up.
3. Separate the eggs and put the yolks into a bowl.
4. You want to combine the yolks and hot milk, but you don’t want to make scrambled eggs. You bring the yolks up to temperature gradually by adding a few tablespoons of the hot milk to the yolks and whisking them together. 5. Add add the yolky mixture into the saucepan of milk.
6. Juice the grapefruit and add the grapefruit juice and white wine.
7. Cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens – abut 10-15 minutes. 8. Pour through a strainer into a shallow container and place in the freezer.9. To mimic an ice cream maker, you want to take the frozen mixture out of the freezer and blitz in the food processor until smooth. I did this twice: once after 3 hours in the freezer and then once the next morning. This will make your gelato nice and creamy.
10. Scoop and serve to your happy friends (or family).

No comments:

Post a Comment