Monday, June 28, 2010

Scallion Pancake with Carrot-Ginger Dipping Sauce

My CSA is driving me crazy. It has gone from a delightful Wednesday surprise into what on earth am I going to do with 16 more scallions when I already have 6 of their cousins shriveling in my fridge. I am trying to be all zen about it, but I have my limits. Anyway, this week we got yet another delivery chock full of scallions. I searched the web for an Asian scallion pancake that was easy enough to make in my fragile state of mind. I stumbled upon this Korean Pancake recipe and with some minor adjustments, I was on my way. This is one of those quick, after-work, one-pan, kitchen suppers that you can whip up for yourself and save the other half for tomorrow's lunch. Nothing fancy, but it is quite delicious.
Korean Scallion Pancakes with Carrot-Ginger Dipping Sauce
Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cold seltzer water (I like making these types of batters with sparkling water and David suggested it too but you can make it with tap water too)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large egg
6-8 scallions
red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil, for frying
Dipping Sauce:
1 medium carrot
2 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp creamy peanut butter
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp Sriracha sauce (or a few dashes of any hot sauce)

1. Chop up the scallions into 1 inch pieces. I also chopped the white parts lengthwise.
2. Throw them into a non-stick skillet with both oils on high heat.
3. Make the batter by combining flour, seltzer, sugar, and salt.
4. Saute the scallions until softened and have some char on them (about 5-8 minutes).
5. Turn down the heat down to medium and pour the batter into the pan with the scallions.6. Sprinkle pepper flakes to taste on top.7. Very lightly beat the egg into a small bowl and pour around the top of the pan.
8. After about 4 minutes of cooking time, flip the pancake. I transferred it to a large plate and then flipped it back into the skillet. I am not skilled enough to flip something that big over in a skillet!
9. After another 3-4 minutes or so, your pancake should be done.
10. To make the dipping sauce, grate the carrot and ginger.
11. Combine carrot, ginger, vinegar, soy, peanut butter and Sriracha in the food processor or blender and blend until dip-able.
Cut into wedges and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment