Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Raspberry-Peach Sangria

I don’t know about you, but I just can’t make a pitcher of sangria. What with all the fruit chunks, the sangria to pitcher-space ratio is simply too low for my friends. One rinky dink pitcher will last about 4 minutes in this crowd. I’ve taken to making my sangria in my biggest stock pot. Maybe it isn’t the classiest vessel, but it gets the job done and everyone will appreciate your sensible approach to high volume sangria making. This sangria is light and refreshing for a hot summer day. A little mint and the juicy chunks of fruit are perfect compliments to the white wine. I normally use a 1 liter bottle of seltzer, but it was a very hot day, so I upped the seltzer so that the drinks weren’t too strong. We needed to have a lot of them to stay hydrated! This is great to serve with grilled chicken or grilled seafood because it is light and won’t overpower your meal. It is also just perfect on its own or with some simple appetizers and sunshine.
Summer Raspberry-Peach Sangria
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
Mint leaves for 4-5 sprigs of mint
2 oranges
2 peaches
1/4 cup brandy
1.5 liter white wine (I use a cheap-o Savignon Blanc)
1 or 2 liters seltzer
1 package raspberries
1. Slice the peaches and oranges into small cubes. You can slice them up however you like, but I like small-ish cubes so that I can fit a few pieces in each glass.
2. Add the sugar and mint leaves to a large bowl, pot, or pitcher.
3. Add the sliced peaches and oranges.
4. Add brandy and stir gently. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so to allow the sugar to dissolve and for the fruit to soak up some delicious brandy flavors. I’ve also made this with Citron Vodka and its good, but I like the hint of warmth and Spain that the brandy brings.
5. Add the cold white wine and seltzer and you’re ready to go.
6. I usually set out the pot of sangria with a ladle, a large bowl of ice, and the pint of raspberries so that people can assemble their own drink. If you put the raspberries right into the sangria, they get super-plumped out and just break apart. I top my drinks off with 2 or 3.

2 comments:

  1. i made this for my party this weekend and it was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! I made them for mom and she only had 12 so I couldn't tell if she liked them or not :)

    ReplyDelete