Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Asian Cole Slaw

After yesterday's whirlwind post by the illustrious Katie Thomas, I wanted to give you a break with something simple and delicious. There is something about this slaw that really speaks to me. For all my pretending to hate mayonnaise, I really don't. My waistline just wishes that I hated it. Even so, this slaw is crispier and fresher than traditional slaw and especially amazing with pork BBQ. I can't get enough of the spicy tang of wasabi and sharp rice wine vinegar. I also love that this dish travels well. The cabbage is firm and soaks up flavors while it sits, so this is a perfect potluck side dish or something to take to a friends house (which is what I did). The crunch of the sesame seeds on top makes it really pop.
Asian Cole Slaw
Ingredients:
1 small head cabbage
3 carrots
2 fat scallions
1 Tbs. Wassabi paste
1 Tbs. Sesame oil
2 Tbs. Canola (or Vegetable) oil
3 Tbs. Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbs. Soy Sauce (I use light soy)
1 Tbs. lime juice
2 tsp. ginger powder or fresh ginger
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1. Grate the carrots and coarsely chop the scallions. I also chop the cabbage, but I do this roughly. I don't want shredded pieces, but rather cut it almost like you would chop lettuce for a salad. Toss them together in a large bowl.
2. The dressing is a combination of many flavors that are traditional in Asian cuisine. I happen to love this combo together. Sesame oil is rich and extremely flavorful, so a little goes a long way and rice wine vinegar has a great balance of acidity that cuts through the richness of the oil.
The wasabi is similar to horseradish and brings a great heat to the dish without being overpowering and a squeeze of lime juice brings freshness (of course you could squeeze a lime here, but I didn't have one so I used my squeeze bottle).
Whisk wasabi, oils, vinegar, ginger, soy and lime juice together to make the dressing.
3. Toast the sesame seeds on medium high heat in a dry skillet for about 5 minutes until they are lightly browned.
4. Toss seeds and dressing together in the bowl with cabbage until they are well combined. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Alex said this was his favorite thing you ever made. I reminded him of all the things you ever made. We cried a little bit while reminiscing, but he asserted that this really was one of his favorites.

    ReplyDelete