Monday, August 23, 2010

Cheddar Dill Flatbread

So, for my first trick in the smallest kitchen in DC, I will be making Cheddar Dill Flatbread. I've got to be honest, I haven't found my groove yet in this new kitchen. Part of it is laziness and the other part is that we aren't totally moved in yet so I feel very much in limbo. Also, there are mirrors everywhere and my lighting is all messed up...ugh. Those of you who know me, know that my anal retention doesn't do well in this situations. Even so, this meal came about as a fridge scavenger hunt. I had planned to make potato salad (dill/scallions/sour cream) and cheeseburgers (cheddar) for our moving crew but we took them to Stoney's instead. Cheddar and dill are a match made in heaven, so I knew I was in business. Oh, and here's another little secret: I always...always have Vace pizza dough in my freezer. I know that making my own dough should be a magical experience, but to be honest, I've never loved making yeast dough. I'm too impatient. Vace makes killer pizza dough, so I rely on that. End of story. This flatbread was very satisfying and the charred dill, scallions, and tomatoes were super flavorful.
Cheddar Dill Flatbread
Ingredients:
Pizza dough (enough for one pizza)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 small bunch dill
3 scallions
5-6 cherry tomatoes
sour cream (garnish)
olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Set the frozen dough in a large bowl and sprinkle in a Tbs. or so of Olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic and set in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw.
2. Assemble your ingredients by grating the cheddar, slicing the scallions and dill and cutting the tomatoes in half.
3. Roll out the dough on a large floured surface until it is the size that you want. I have a little pizza stone, but you don't need one. Roll it out to whatever size pan you are using. A rectangle for a sheet pan would work too. Cover with a cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Place the baking stone or tray in a 450 oven for 5-10 minutes so it is super hot.
5. Remove the baking tray and place the pizza dough on the tray (if you are using a baking tray, spray it with non-stick spray just before placing the dough onto the tray).
6. Load up with cheese, tomatoes, and scallions.
7. Sprinkle chopped dill on top.
8. Bake in hot (450 degree) oven for about 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted, the veggies and dill are charred, and the dough is crispy.
9. Slice up and enjoy with sour cream as a garnish.

Also, today is a very special day. It is my little sister's birthday. She is one of a kind and I'm very lucky to have her. Happy Birthday Katie!!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! I would have never thought of dill on a flatbread - great idea! <3 Wage

    ReplyDelete