Monday, August 9, 2010

Layered Ratatouille

I've never eaten ratatouille in a restaurant and I'd never heard of it until Remi the Rat was running around cartoon Paris, showing us that anyone can cook. The idea of making one appealed to me, but the idea of standing in the Wholefoods produce section, comparing a zucchini, eggplant, and squash to find ones of equal size, did the opposite of appeal to me. A layered ratatouille solved this problem because they don't have to be the same size and you still get all the flavors and the beautiful presentation. A lot of my cooking is a product of what I have on hand. For this, I had one large tomato, a handful of cherry tomatoes, one large eggplant, a squash, zucchini, and a vidalia onion. If you have some other combination of veggies and sizes, layer them as best you can and bake away. The result is more flavorful and satisfying than you might think.
Layered Ratatouille
Ingredients:
1 large tomato
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1 medium squash and zucchini
1 eggplant
1 onion
1/4 cup white wine
2 tsp dried thyme

1. Using a mandolin (or a knife and some patience), slice the veggies into discs. Also slice the large tomato into slices and cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
2. The base is a layer of the large tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil (do this with each step).
3. Do the next layer of eggplant slices.
4. Then layer over the fatter slices of squash and zucchini.
5. The last layer is the pretty one. Do squash, onion slices, zucchini, and cherry tomato halves. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme, and olive oil. Also pour the white wine over.
6. Usually, people cut an piece of parchment paper to lay on top so that the veggies steam. I didn't have any parchment paper, so I just placed a baking sheet on top of my casserole. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes until steamy and delicious then remove the lid for the last 15 minutes so it gets a little crispy.
7. I served with some plain white rice. It was great for a light dinner, but heated up for lunch the next day was even better.

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing and I will be making it soon! <3 Wage

    ReplyDelete