Friday, September 3, 2010

Simple Crabcakes

I grew up eating blue claw crabs on vacation with my parents and extended family. I remember asking my Aunt Karen where my Uncle Bob learned to pick crabs. "From cannibals!" Well, I believed her and thought twice about getting on Uncle Bob's bad side for quite a while. When I was 6, I was totally crazy and I didn't want to eat crabs, but I did love to pick them. I used to pick a big pile for my mom and she would make crabcakes or crab imperial for me. These days, my preferred method of crab eating is with a a mallet, cracker, newspapers, and tons of old bay. I had Gmom and Poppy coming over for dinner and I wanted something crabby, but easier to eat. I decided on making this simple crabcake. Nothing too crazy should get in the way of the delicate, sweet crab meat. A simple dressing and light breadcrumbs to bind is all you need to have a delicious crabcake that is elegant and respects the simple perfection that is blue claw crabs.
Simple Crabcakes
Ingredients:
8 oz. tub Jumbo Lump Crab meat
8 oz. tub Claw Crab meat
1/4 cup mayo
2 Tbs. sour cream
1 lemon
1 Tbs. parsley
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
Olive Oil (for frying)

1. Make your dressing my whisking together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
2. Add very finely chopped parsley.
Jumbo lump crab meat is super expensive, but there is no substitute for this fantastic stuff. I supplement by using one can of jumbo lump and on cheaper can of claw meat. I figure this way, I've got a whole crab in there!
3. Toss dressing lightly with crab meat, being careful not to break up the big lump of crab.
4. Sprinkle over with breadcrumbs and gently mix in until the crabcakes are a consistency that you can form into patties. You may need slightly more or less crumbs to get your perfect cakes.
5. Use your hands to form 6 generous crab cakes.
6. Heat a half inch of oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Fry the cakes for 4-5 minutes per side until they are heated through and crispy.
7. Serve right away while they are hot and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment