Thursday, November 18, 2010

Katie Thomas' Award Winning Meatballs

Obviously my little sister, Katie, is totally awesome, incredibly good looking, and brilliant in the kitchen because it is in our genes. She won a very prestigious award at her office this week and I had to wipe away tears of pride and tears because her office is in Philly and FedEX frowns on overnighting saucy meatballs. Enjoy!

I just started a new job and I was so excited to find some fellow foodies at work. One day during a philosophical discussion about the best way to make meatballs, we decided that the best way to decide was to have a “battle of the meatballs”. The contestants included: Vanessa Riggs, Chris Connelly, Sue Felton, Claudette Fonshell, Carol Kelly, Beth-Ann Schauer, Kevin Plews, Katie Thomas, and Joe Casciato. After much meatball smack-talking in the office, the day finally came.
The crock pots were broken out and the meatballs were presented.
All were delicious...I mean come on who doesn't like meatballs?! I was up until the wee hours slaving over my meatballs and tied with Vanessa for 1st place!
Our distinguished judges were Ron, Stacey and Neil:
So here you have it, the award-winning meatball recipe.

Katie Thomas' Award Winning Meatballs
Ingredients:
2/3 pound ground beef
2/3 pound ground veal
2/3 pound ground pork
1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
1 tsp garlic powder cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1 cup freshly grated Locatelli cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup olive oil

I would like to add the sidebar that I think the combination of 4 meats to make meatballs is perfection and I love it. Dino makes meatballs like this and they are fantastic, but I bet Katie's were better.
1. Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl
2. Caramelize onions in skillet with a small amount of the olive oil.
3. Allow to cool and add to the bowl.
4. Heat olive oil in a skillet.
5. Roll mixture into uniform sized balls.
6. Brown in the skillet, about 5 minutes on each side on medium heat.
7. Add sauce, heat through, and enjoy!
(You didn’t think I was going to give you my sauce recipe did you?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment