Thursday, December 16, 2010

Roasted Broccoli

I know that you know how to roast vegetables in your oven. This recipe is mostly a reminder that you can roast lots of different veggies in there. Don't forget about broccoli! This is really the only way I will eat broccoli. Well, that is unless my mother serves it some other way and threatens to withhold my dessert until I finish! Broccoli is an interesting vegetable with two distinct parts. Obviously the florets are the main attraction, but the oft neglected stem is actually quite sweet and completely edible. I think that leaving on the stem makes the broccoli look more appealing and gives you more flavors. Roasting ensures that each part is cooked through, but retains some of the texture and crunch. The caramelization is an added bonus. I sprinkled mine with sunflower seeds at the end mostly because I happen to have a bag in my pantry. The anti-vegetable people in your house may change their tune around these babies.
Roasted Broccoli
Ingredients:
2 medium heads of broccoli
1 Tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper
1 Tbs. sunflower seeds (optional)

1. Slice the broccoli florets off of the head, leaving 1-2 inches of stalk attached. This part is edible and quite delicious.
2. Place the broccoli on a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes until slightly caramelized and tender.
4. Sprinkle with seeds (if you want) and serve up as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment