Mini Breakfast Pizzas (serves 4)
1/2 lb. pizza dough
1 ball fresh mozzarella
3 plump scallions
3 slices bacon
2-3 Tbs. fresh chives
salt and pepper
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I buy my pizza dough from Vace and I don't care who knows it. You can make your own dough if you like, but I buy mine from the experts and it always turns out perfect.
1. Roll the room temperature dough out on a floured surface so that it makes 4 thin circles that you will use for your pizzas. They should be just a bit smaller than a dinner plate because they will shrink up while they sit and when they cook.
3. Finley chop the scallions.
4. Cook the bacon until it is just a little under done and cut it into 1 inch pieces. I just microwave mine on a plate between 2 pieces of paper towel for 3 minutes and called it a day, but you could certainly fry them in a pan. You could also substitute sausage (browned in a pan), mushrooms, or other veggies here instead.
5. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees and place 2 large cookie trays into the hot oven while it preheats. When the oven has reached 500, take out the cookie sheets, spray them with non-stick spray, and place the dough onto the sheets.
You can see that they seize up when they hit the hot pans.
6. Drizzle them lightly with olive oil (about 1 tsp. each), and sprinkle each with 1/4 of the cheese, bacon, chives, and scallions leaving a well in the center for your egg.
7. Crack each egg into a small bowl and then pour it into the well. Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper and put the sheet trays into the oven.
8. Allow them to cook in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes until the egg is no longer runny, the cheese is melted, and the crust is beginning to turn very light brown.
Look at how beautiful they are. Also, if someone doesn't like their eggs to be runny, they can break the yolk before you put the pizzas into the oven.
Enjoy them immediately! I served them with a side of home fries and cantaloupe. Heavenly!