Monday, March 14, 2011

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

I work with Statistics for a living. I'm not exactly Jack Bauer, racing around to save the plant from impending doom. Don't get me wrong. I love what I do, but sometimes in the pursuit of a profession such as mine, you have to do some really snooze-worthy stuff. I'm sure we all do. Even so, when I am in charge of a particularly boring project, I want to thank my coworkers who helped me by bringing in special treats. The best office treats are breakfast treats because they are an exciting surprise. "No boring cereal today! We've got muffins!" These muffins are moist and hearty. I used all whole wheat flour because I ran our of regular flour. When you use all whole wheat flour, your results can sometimes be dry and heavy. To combat that, I used sour cream and milk to make the batter extra light and creamy. The whole wheat really works with the lightness and sharp flavor of the sour cream. The blueberries give the perfect pop of freshness. You could certainly make them without the crumb topping, but that is what really makes them special. Sweet and salty and a perfect texture. The best thing to get you going in the morning. And you didn't even need to get our your mixer to make them!Blueberry Crumb Muffins
Ingredients:
Muffins:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 stick butter (melted)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. skim milk
1 egg
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup blueberries
Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick butter (melted)
1 tsp. salt

1. To make the muffins, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Next whisk together the wet ingredients (along with the slightly cooled melted butter) until smooth.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir them together until just combined.
4. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. To make the crumb topping, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Then pour over the melted butter and fork together until combine. They will form lumps and crumbles that you will sprinkle on top.
6. Scoop the batter into your lined muffin tins.
7. Sprinkle the tops generously with the crumb mixture.
8. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until they are just cooked through. You really don't want to overcook them or they will be dry and gross.
9. When they are done, the crumbly topping will be crispy and the muffin itself will be bouncy and moist.
Serve them up to your happy breakfast buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment