Friday, April 1, 2011

"Grilled" Baby Bok Choy

Forman Alert! Forman Alert! No one in my family ever manages to get good gifts for my dad. He is impossible to shop for because the man has such specific taste. "Did you keep the receipt?" was his response to my last golf ball purchase. He always teases us that the item in question will fetch a great price at our next yard sale. Ouch. When I got him and my mom and George Forman grill 10 years ago, that was their reaction. They thought it would be totally useless. Fast forward to the present. My parents use this machine innumerable ways. Toaster? No need, we've got the Forman. They use it for everything. My mom's favorite vegetable is baby bok choy, a slightly sweet and tender varietal of Chinese cabbage. You can usually find regular bok choy in the grocery store, but the baby bok choy is more of a challenge. Mom is engaged in a never ending quest to find this vegetable in the baby size and when she does, jubilation ensues. I found them the day before I was scheduled to come home, so I bought them and smuggled them back to Jersey. When my mom suggested that we grill them (the best way to make them) I wholeheartedly agreed and suspected that my dad would be sent out to the grill. Imagine my surprise when I reentered the kitchen 5 minutes later to find them "grilling" away on the Forman grill. Simple, but effective. If you've got one, by all means, use it. If not, a grill pan or a hot skillet will render a similar effect.
"Grilled" Baby Bok Choy (side dish for 4)
Ingredients:
6 baby bok choys
olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Slice the bok choy in half lengthwise and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. 2. Place the vegetables onto a very hot griddle surface (Forman, preheat grill pan, or skilled). 3. Allow them to cook 4-5 minutes per side (or with the lid down on the Forman) until they have a nice char on both sides and are tender. They will still maintain some crunch, which is just want you want. Serve them up as a delicious and healthy side dish. I swear this isn't an April Fools joke. A Forman grill can be put to excellent use in many situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment