Friday, May 13, 2011

Tarragon and Mustard Roasted Fish

When I go to the grocery store, I am on the lookout for things that are on sale. I find more satisfaction when I take a lower priced item and turn it into something delicious then I do when I spend lots of cash on something that blows me away. Something that costs a lot of money should be amazing. Using that logic, things that are less pricey, should be less delicious. But this just isn't so. Those things just need more love and attention and they can be just as amazing. Take the humble Tilapia, for example. It isn't a real stand out on its own, but it is the perfect canvas for almost any flavors that you can throw at it. Here I do a French-ish theme with tarragon and Dijon mustard. Tarragon has an almost sweet flavor it it that pairs well with the punchy sourness of the mustard. If you don't have tarragon and you want to substitute something else, you could try dried basil or oregano. Tarragon and Mustard Roasted Fish
Ingredients:
2 large Tilapia (or other firm white) fillets
1 tsp. dried tarragon
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard (I found Safeway-brand whole grain Dijon that I used here and I really love it)
1 fat garlic cloves
1 large onion
olive oil
salt and pepper
2 yellow squash (for a side dish)
1. Take a large baking dish and on one side, lay some slices onions as a bed for your fish. On the other side, put some squash (or other vegetable) that you will have as a side dish. Sprinkle with with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Lay the fish fillets over the onions and sprinkle lightly with salt.
3. Make the mustard glaze by combining mustard, finely chopped garlic (I grate it on my microplane), tarragon, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp. olive oil.
4. Mix together to form a paste and slather the paste generously all over the top of the fish. The flavors will soak into the fillets as they cook.
5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, until the fish is opaque and flakes when you dig into it with a fork. If you have very thick fillets, they might need another 5 minutes.
Serve with your vegetables from the side dish and also maybe a green salad for a quick, healthy and delicious dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment