Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ginger Grilled Salmon

I love salmon in all forms. Smoked, cured, and fresh. Fresh salmon fillets are not only beautiful and delicious, they are also healthy. There is just one little problem. When you pan fry salmon on the stove top, your apartment or house will smell fish for days. Since I don't want all the neighborhood cats sitting at my door, my solution is to bake it in the oven or grill it outside. Grilling has the added benefit of easy clean up (no pan) and all those extra grill flavors. Salmon is full of the good fats that make our hair, skin, and nails shiny and lustrous. It is also full of lots of distinct flavor on its own (unlike say Tilapia, that is basically a blank slate for flavor). Because of this, salmon needs sharp flavors (think citrus) to stand up to all that it has going on. I had a big hunk of ginger so I wanted to try it out. Ginger is spicy and fresh, which complimented the salmon beautifully. I grilled it on a piece of foil so that I didn't have salmon stuck to my grill for weeks. I highly recommend this when grilling flaky fish. Easy and delicious. This is simple enough for weekdays, but nice enough to serve for company. Win-win! Grilled Ginger Salmon
Ingredients:
salmon fillet
2 Tbs. fresh ginger
salt and pepper
tin foil and non-stick spray

1. Use a grater to grate your fresh ginger.
2. Wash and pat your fillet dry with a paper towel.
3. Rub the fresh ginger and ginger juices all over the flesh of the salmon.
4. Cover the salmon with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes and up to overnight.
5. Spray a piece of foil with non stick spray and liberally sprinkle salt and pepper on the flesh of the salmon.
6. Lay the foil (spray-side-up) on your hot grill and put the salmon with the ginger side down on the grill.
7. Cover the grill and let the salmon cook for 5 minutes on that side. Then flip.
8. Cover the grill and let the salmon cook for another 5 minutes on the other side.
9. Remove the salmon from the grill to a platter.
Dish up with your favorite sides. I served it with Mango Salsa on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment