Friday, July 1, 2011

Kiwi Margarita on the Rocks

Oh...hello summer. There you are. I have been loving this weather lately but the beautiful, sunny skies and moderate temperatures are reeking havoc on my ability to sit in my cubicle all day. All I can think about is running out the doors and heading straight to my patio to start downing Kiwi Margaritas. The idea for these little beauties came when (not surprisingly) kiwis were on sale at the grocery store and a light bulb went off in my head that a blended kiwi cocktail would be so beautiful and delicious. My first draft of this cocktail was WAY to sour. Kiwis, incidentally, aren't that sweet, so you do need to add plenty of sugar so that the sour lime and kiwi flavors are properly balanced. I think that Kiwi Margaritas are a really fun alternative to the standard margarita and I can't wait for a good excuse to make my next batch.
Kiwi Margarita on the Rocks (makes about 6 drinks)
Ingredients:
3 kiwis
5 limes
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
white tequila
ice
soda water (optional)
1. Peel the kiwis.
and place sliced kiwis into a blender (or magic bullet).
2. Add the juice of 5 limes and the sugar. I suggested using confectioner sugar because it will get absorbed into the liquid easier, but you could certainly use regular sugar if that is what you have on hand.
3. Blend with about 1/4 cup water until smooth. Give it a test taste and see where you are. Add more sugar if needed. Now you have your base mix that you can store it in the fridge for 2-3 days. If you are having a party, you can make up the mix the day before and it will be all ready to assemble the drinks for your party.
4. To make the margaritas, add 1/2 cup of the mix, a few ice cubes, and 1 shot of tequila into a cocktail shaker (or two different size plastic cups for an impromptu cocktail shaker).
5. Shake well and pour into a waiting glass.You can garnish with a lime wedge, kick back, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment