Friday, July 8, 2011

Salsa Verde Turkey Enchiladas

The general rule is that casseroles are not a summer food. I usually agree, but I think South-of-the-Border classics are always summery. This is a light twist on classic enchiladas and makes a great summer dinner because you cool it down with fresh cilantro and sour cream. Let's get real, though. The reason I truly am in love with this dish is that I can make up a batch and freeze half. Five minutes in the microwave on a lazy Wednesday night is all I need to be chowing down on melty, hearty goodness. This is why I really love to make these enchiladas. I have some in my freezer right now. I have two small casserole pans that I use, which means that I can eat one for dinner and lunches and I can put one in the freezer for emergencies. I even freeze it in individual portioned freezer bags. Lazy weeknight crisis averted. Even better is that this can be a great meal for a group. If you have a crowd coming over, you can make this in a large casserole pan in advance, heat it up in the oven and serve. No side dishes required. This has it all: protein, carbs, dairy, vegetables. Serve with cold beers and your job is done. Salsa Verde Turkey Enchiladas
Ingredients:
1 lb. turkey
1 green pepper
1 yellow onion
24 oz. jar salsa verde
1 pilsner beer (I used Presidente)
10 whole wheat tortillas (medium size for tacos - not the big ones for burritos nor the tiny ones for fajitas)
1 bag Monterrey Jack cheese
cilantro
salt and pepper
olive oil
sour cream (optional)

1. Start by browning the turkey in 1 Tbs. hot oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to brown for about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the turkey and put in a bowl. Then add the chopped onion and pepper to the pan.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sweat the onion and pepper for 4 minutes. Then add back the turkey and add the beer and salsa.
4. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes so that the flavors come together.
5. Ladle a small amount of sauce into your pan(s). This will make sure that they enchiladas don't stick.
Set up your assembly line with cheese, chopped cilantro, tortillas and the turkey-salsa verde sauce.
6. Ladle some of the turkey mixture onto a tortilla.
7. Top with cheese and cilantro.
8. Roll up the enchilada and place it in the pan.
9. Repeat until you fill up the pans.
10. Top with the remaining turkey-salsa verde sauce.
11. Top this with any remaining cheese and cilantro.
12. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes, until the top is bubbling and the corners are starting to brown.
Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing up and enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment