Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Salsa Fresca Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

I'm a sucker for tacos. They are fun to make and you can customize them to your tastebuds exactly. Truth be told, I like anything where I can pile on toppings indescriminatly. I do not, however like boring chicken tacos. I usually go for steak or pork. I find grilled chicken breasts to be bland and not really my thing. Pulled chicken is another story. I think pulled chicken from a slow cooker is tender, juicy, and full of flavor. Pulled chicken is also super easy to make. Stick the chicken in the crock pot, turn it on low, and when you get home...dinner basically made itself for you. Fantastic. Then all you need to do is shred the chicken and get your toppings out of the fridge. I was given a jar of salsa fresca as a gift so I used it here. You buy salsa fresca from the store or you can use any salsa you like. This would also probably be a great choice for a casual dinner party. Easy on the host and really fun for the guests.
Salsa Fresca Crock Pot Chicken Tacos (makes enough for 4 people)
Ingredients:
2 split chicken breasts
1 cup salsa fresca
1/2 beer (I used Tecate)
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
garnishes (cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, pickled onions)

1. Place two chicken breasts into a crock pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Coarsely chop the onion and garlic and add to the crock pot.
3. Add the salsa fresca and the 1/2 beer. Add 2 tsp. salt.
4. Cover the crock pot and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours while you are at the office.
5. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the two pieces from the crock pot and allow to cool slightly so that you can handle them.
6. Carefully removed the chicken skin and bones and discard. Shred the chicken with two forks.
7. Return the shredded chicken to the juices in the crock pot.
8. Create the tacos by putting chicken down on taco shells and adding the toppings of your choice.

One Year Ago: Virginia Peach Salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment