Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fish Fry with Lemon Zest

I had the most powerful craving for fried fish the other day and I just couldn't shake it. I figured it would be best to just go with it. I was trying to think of a way to make it seem less heavy, while still maintaining a very crispy exterior. I figured that adding lemon zest and panko breadcrumbs to the crust should do it. You need the flour to keep the crust nice and crunchy, but the zest adds a crispness and the breadcrumbs add some lightness and texture. I thought it was perfect and I really loved this meal. I made some Potato Wedges to go with it, to make it Fish and Chips, but since I couldn't imagine loading up two batches of hot oil, I roasted the wedges in the oven, which worked out great.
Fish Fry with Lemon Zest
Ingredients:
1 lb. cod (cut into two pieces)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 lemon
1 egg
2 Tbs. white wine
salt and pepper
oil for frying

1. Rinse the fish and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. To give it a nice coating, set up your dredging station. In one bowl whisk your egg with the white wine and a sprinkle of salt. In the other bowl, combine flour, zest of the lemon, bread crumbs, and cayenne with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
3. First put the cod in the flour, then in the egg, and then back into the flour for a double coating of crunchy crust. Allow the cod to sit with the crust for 5 minutes.
4. Heat 1 inch of oil in your pan (quantity will depend on the size of your pan) over medium heat until nice and hot. I usually sprinkle a little flout in there and if it sizzles, you are in business.
5. Drop in your fish very gently so that you don't splatter oil all over yourself. Cook for 6-8 minutes a side or until golden brown.
6. Remove fish from the oil.
7. I made a simple tarter sauce to go with it. Combine 1 Tbs. sour cream with 2 Tbs. plain yogurt. Then add a finely chopped pickle spear, 1/2 tsp. horseradish, 1 Tbs. lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Serve the fish with the tarter sauce. I think it goes nicely with Roasted Potato Wedges and a simple salad. Look at how flaky the fish becomes!
Yum, yum, yum.

One Year Ago: Honey Mustard Crock Pot Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment