Thursday, April 12, 2012

Smores Cheesecake

Smores cheesecake!! Smores cheesecake!! Yum, yum, yum. I made this for a Passover dinner this past week and I fell in love. Cheesecake is kosher for Passover, but it is also delicious for all year round. I would make this for any occasion with pride. I usually find cheesecake dry and boring. Not so when you add a bag of chocolate chips and marshmallows. This gives the cheesecake a whole new depth. It seems like a natural combination anyway because of the traditional base of a graham cracker crust. The smores part really does feel right and it a total crowd pleaser. Other crowd pleasers were Kelaine's sensational jerk chicken, Alex's super tender shortribs, Michelle's divine noodle kugel, and Mark's...oh wait...Mark didn't make anything!! He is lucky that he is so good looking. Somehow Josh and Alex ended up with all the cheesecake leftovers. This was an epic failing on my part and I will never make this mistake again. I wish I had some for breakfast...
Smores Cheesecake
Ingredients:
Crust:
6 Tbs. butter
9.6 oz Graham Crackers (You know how a box comes with 3 sleeves in it? Use 2 of them.)
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
Cheesecake:
3 packages cream cheese
3 eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1 bag chocolate chips (regular or mini)
10 marshmallows

1. In your food processor, crush the graham crackers. Then add melted butter, brown sugar, and salt. Pulse together until it resembles wet sand.
2. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of a 9" springform pan.
3. In a preheated 350 degree oven, bake for 10 minutes. While the crust is baking, get on with the cheesecake.
4. In the same food processor (or mixer), blend together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla.
5. I made this cheesecake for Passover, so I skipped this step, but I would normally toss the chocolate chips together with about 1 Tbs. flour so that they don't sink to the bottom. Add the chips and stir together.
6. Remove the crust from the oven and add the cheesecake mixture.
7. Add the marshmallows all around.
8. Put the cheesecake in the 350 degree oven and bake for 50 minutes or until the middle is just set.
9. I like the cracks and homemade look to the cheesecake, so I don't bother with a waterbath and I take it right out of the oven and let it cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Then run a knife around the outside and release it from the springform pan.
10. Allow the cake to cool in the fridge for at least an hour or two. More is better. Then slice up and serve.
One Year Ago: Lemon-Dill Baked Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment