Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Spicy Maple Salmon

This is a fun, fast weeknight dinner if I ever saw one.  Salmon is a delicious fish and it is hearty enough to stand up to some great flavorings.  This particular combination was really fun.  Slightly sweet maple syrup and the heat from the pepper flakes balance out the healthy fat in the salmon.  It also comes together in 15 minutes so I don't have to wait around my kitchen, fighting off the urge to eat a whole bag of chips as an "appetizer" while my dinner is cooking.  I'm not even going to pretend that I used fancy maple syrup (although you could).  I used the regular old maple syrup that we have in the back of our fridge for those rare pancake mornings.  The maple syrup lightly flavors the fish and you get a noticeable hint of heat from the pepper.  I loved how easy this dish is to prepare which makes it a great date-night meal for the fellas who want to impress.
Spicy Maple Salmon
Ingredients:
10 oz. piece salmon
1/2 tsp. salt
cracked black pepper
2 Tbs. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste)

1.  Rinse your piece of salmon in cold water and pat dry.  Line a baking sheet with foil and drizzle with olive oil so the fish doesn't stick. 
2.  Set the salmon on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3.  Pour over maple syrup and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
4.  Bake for 10 minutes until the fish is flaky and cooked through.  My piece was about 1/2 in thick (as you can tell from the pictures) so 10 minutes was perfect.  If your pieces is thicker, you may need another 2-3 minutes for uniform done-ness.

One Year Ago:  MiB Award Winning Shass and Ale Pie
Two Years Ago: Banana Monkey Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Spicy Eggplant Lasagna

No comments:

Post a Comment