Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Vegetable Stock

So this is really less of a recipe and more of just a suggestion. For some reason, I’ve become aware of just how much food I throw away. Mostly vegetable ends and veggies that are just about to go bad, but I don’t know how or want to use them up in something. This is especially true with our CSA because they give us tons of random veggies and sometimes I just can’t take any more turnips. I’ve got this new habit of making my veggie ends into vegetable stock. I take one large freezer bag and fill it up over a few weeks when I am making stuff. I throw the ends of onions, leeks, celery tips, carrot peels, herbs that I used half of and don’t know what to do with the rest, potatoes with eyes, and anything else that isn’t going to be used. I then dump the contents of the frozen bag of veggies in with one whole onion and garlic into a stock pot and I boil it with water for an hour until I have beautiful veggie stock. It easy, I use it in lots of recipes, and I feel super green so I make up for it by cranking my air conditioner on high for weeks at a time in the DC summers.

Vegetable Stock
I freezer bag full of random veggies
1 onion
1 head garlic
1 tsp. whole peppercorns
Water to cover
1. Dump the contents of the bag of veggies, roughly chopped onion and garlic, and peppercorns into a stock pot.2. Cover with water.
3. Bring to a boil and cook for an hour or 2.4. Strain the liquid through a sieve.5. Pour into containers and freeze or use in a recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Waaaaait a second. That's all I have to do to make vegetable stock? DONE AND DONE.

    ReplyDelete