Monday, August 30, 2010

Roasted Lemon-Pepper Shrimp Cocktail

All of a sudden, my dad is crazy about shrimp cocktail. Every time I'm home, he's got water boiling and some shrimp to thrown in for a quick snack. He's always trying to push shrimp on anyone who walks in the door...like it or not. Even so, my fondness for these pink beauties is unaltered. I love the way that Ina taught us to roast shrimp so that none of the flavor seeps out when they are cooking. I usually make shrimp just sprinkled lightly with Old Bay seasoning, but I was having my Gmom and Poppy over for dinner so I wanted something a little different when I pushed shrimp cocktail on them. Lemon and lots of cracked pepper make the shrimp pop and give them tons of great flavor without competing with their natural sweetness. This is such a simple (and if you get them on sale, then inexpenvie) appetizer that will surely impress anyone who is at your table.
Roasted Lemon-Pepper Shrimp Cocktail
Ingredients:
1 lb. medium shrimp (20-30 count)
1 lemon
1/2 Tablespoon pepper (or to taste)
Olive Oil
1/4 cup ketsup
1 Tbs. Horseradish

1. Rinse shrimp and place them on a baking sheet. Zest one lemon and sprinkle the zest of the shrimp along with the pepper. Also sprinkle with about 1 tsp. salt.
2. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon onto the shrimp and sprinkle with olive oil.
3. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes until pink and the shrimp are cooked through.
4. Make the traditional cocktail sauce for shrimp by combining ketsup, horseradish, and the juice from the other 1/2 lemon with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment