Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce

Whoever said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day was on to something. As soon as my eyes open in the morning, I am thinking about what I want to eat. Some might think this is strange, but I consider it a blessing and not a curse. I am basically always thinking about food, so getting up and heading straight to the fridge just feels right. I also like to make breakfast for Mark, but he really, really, really doesn't like it very much when I wake him up at 7am and ask him if he wants some pancakes. So, I try not to do that...very much...anymore. I try to take my time and make breakfast a little later. It is great have something that I can whip up quickly as soon as Mark is hungry so that I can finally stuff my belly (although, knowing me, I probably ate leftover pad thai already). These pancakes are so scrumptious and the sauce comes together quickly while you are making the pancakes. I am a sucker for stacking my pancakes sky high, so I like to make small-ish ones so that I can eat 5. I also love the sour lemon with creamy ricotta and the tart, sweet strawberries. This makes a great weekend treat to eat lazily with your morning coffee and mimosa.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce
Ingredients:
1/2 cup ricotta
1 egg
1 lemon
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
12 strawberries
1 Tbs. white wine
1 tsp. sugar
1. Wash and dry strawberries and slice them into small chunks.
2. Place strawberries in a small sauce pan and add wine and sugar and a sprinkle of salt.
3. Cook the strawberries on low heat while you make your pancakes. After about 10-15 minutes, the sauce will be done. It's very chunky, so you get big pieces of strawberries with you pancakes.4. Juice and zest the lemon.
5. Whisk together ricotta, egg, juice and zest of lemon in a bowl.
6. Add flour and baking powder and a pinch of salt. Mix til just combined. It will still be lumpy.
7. Turn the griddle or frying pan to medium-high heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Dollop 2-3 Tbs amounts onto the griddle and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
8. Stack up your pancakes and get them all ready for the sauce.
9. Top with strawberry sauce and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment