Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chilled Summer Corn Soup

Labor day always excited me as a kid. I am a September baby, so it meant my birthday was coming up and it also meant back-to-school. I loved going to school when I was little. Grad school was another story! As an adult with a love for cooking and eating, I think September represents the best harvesting of the year. Around this time, corn is so flavorful that using it as an ingredients is a no brainer. This soup is incredibly simple because you don't really need to do too much to build layers of flavor. The corn stands on its own with the sweetness of summer. I make this soup thick so that it could be a light dinner with a big loaf of bread and a salad or it could be an appetizer for a heartier meal (I obviously took the later approach). Grab a few ears of late summer corn and get to it!
Chilled Summer Corn Soup
Ingredients:
3 ears of corn
1 medium onion
1 cup white wine
olive oil
salt and pepper
cilantro (garnish)

1. Slice the kernels off the ears of corn and chop the onion.
2. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan and add the corn and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add white wine and cook for another 20 minutes until the corn is tender. Remove from the heat and add to your blender.
4. Blend until smooth, but it will still be bit chunky. If it is too thick to blend, add cold water until it is the consistency that you want.
5. Serve with with chopped cilantro, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper on top.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment