Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Naughty Turkey Meatloaf for Two

Turkey meat is suppose to be so good for us, but it is bland with a capital B. That is what's so great about using turkey meat as your base. The world is your oyseter with reguard to the flavors that you choose. Ground turkey meat needs lots of flavoring, so you have a lot of leeway when making a dish with turkey. I knew that I wanted to make a turkey meatloaf, but since we just moved, I'm still unpacking stuff at night and I am not highly motivated to go to the grocery store for little things at the last minute. I realized that I didn't have any breadcrumbs or anything to bind the meat, which would make a meatloaf problematic. Then, my eyes drifted over to the half eaten bag of salt and pepper potato chips on the counter. Why not? I smashed them up and used them to bind the meatloaf. It added the much needed fat and flavor to the lean turkey. Along with the pepper, scallions, garlic, and beer, the turkey was in flavor heaven. This makes enough meatloaf for two dinner servings and two lunch sandwiches, so I think it's really just for two! The next day's naughty turkey meatloaf sandwich was probably my favorite way to eat it!
Naughty Turkey Meatloaf for Two
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 small red pepper
2 scallions
2 garlic cloves
1 egg
A few dashes of tobasco sauce
1/3 cup pale ale, or whatever beer you like
1 cup potato chips (I used salt and pepper flavor)
10 cherry tomatoes

1. Slice the scallion, red pepper, and garlic clove and add to a bowl.
2. Add turkey meat, egg, tobasco, and beer. Sprinkle over salt and pepper.
3. Put the chips in a large plastic baggie. You could always crush them in the food processor too, but I prefer this stress-busting method.
4. Smash them into fine crumbs and add to the bowl.
5. Your clean hands are really the best tool for getting in there and combining the meat with the flavorings. Work it thoroughly to make sure that the flavors are distributed evenly.
6. Form load in a well greased baking dish and bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes, until the meat reaches a temperature of 170.
7. I placed a handful of halved cherry tomatoes around it while it cooked. Instant side dish!
8. Slice up and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Do you think this would work with other naughty snacks like pretzels or tortilla chips? What about stale chips?

    Just trying to think of good ways to use those things left out overnight at Corcoran Street parties...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K. Pretzels or totilla chips would be stellar. I don't see why stale chips wouldn't work either.

    Speaking of Corcoran Street parties...I think we need to have one soon!

    ReplyDelete