Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Turkey-White Bean Chili

I don't think DC knows what it wants to do with itself. Is it fall yet? We are having beautiful, crisp fall days followed by days in the 80s. It is wreaking havoc on my wardrobe and my kitchen choices. Oh well. This dish is clearly a crisp, fall weather kind of dish. Warm and comforting with hints of spicy heat. I really like a white chili because I feel like it is healthy somehow. Dilusion is my port in a storm. Turkey meat is healthy and this is chock full of fresh vegetable and white beans. Healthy, healthy, healthy. I will have two bowls. The other great thing about this dish is that it freezes beautifully without getting all freezer tasting. You can freeze the leftovers in a plastic baggie and bring it out when the mood strikes. Speaking of which, I have some in my freezer right now...
Turkey-White Bean Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
2 ears of corn (or 1 can corn)
1 jalepeno
1 beer
1 can white beans
1/4 cup flour
cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips (for garnish)

1. Turn the heat on high under a heavy bottom pan or dutch oven. Add 2 Tbs. olive oil and allow to get hot before adding turkey meat. You want to get a nice color on the meat, but you aren't cooking it through. Add a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper to the meat.
2. Slice the kernels off of the ears of corn (or just open the can).
3. Chop the onion and bell pepper into a small dice and also seed and dice the jalepeno.
4. Turn down the heat and add the vegetables to the pot with the turkey. Stir thoroughly, add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and allow the vegetables to cook for about 5 minutes.
6. Add one bottle of beer. I used a Harppon Oktoberfest because I had it. I also add 18 oz. of water to the pot (I just filling the empty beer bottle with water 1.5 times)
7. Drain and rinse the white beans and add them to the pot. Allow the chili to come to a simmer and simmer on very low heat for 30 minutes.
8. To thicken the chili, we will make a very simple flour mixture that will give the chili a nice texture. Combine 1/4 cup of flour with 2 large ladles (about 1 cup) of hot broth from the chili pot. Whisk this together until smooth. You can add some cold water from the sink if you need more liquid.
9. Pour the flour mixture back into the chili pot and stir into the remaining broth. Test for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Allow to cook for another 15-20 minutes until thickened and all of the veggies are nice and tender.

I plated mine with cilantro and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment