Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mushroom Bruchetta

I love fungus. Mushrooms of all shapes and sizes make me smile. And I just can't understand why tomatoes get all of the bruchetta love. This is a very simple mushroom bruchetta that is as economical as it is delicious. A package of mushrooms are almost always on sale for $2 at my grocery store and with a simple garlic, white wine, and herb saute, they become a fantastic topping to crackers or toast. Your friends will love these satisfying and elegant nibbles and only you will know that it took almost no effort to impress them.
Mushroom Bruchetta
Ingredients:
1 package mushrooms
1 very large scallion or 2 medium ones
3 Tbs. chopped green garlic or 2 plump garlic cloves
dried herbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 loaf french bread
olive oil

1. Wipe the shrooms down with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt and chop the mushrooms caps into thin slices.
2. Chop scallion and green garlic (which I get tons of in my CSA).
3. Saute the mushrooms in 1 Tbs. olive oil in a frying pan for 5 minutes on medium high heat.
4. Add the chopped onions and garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute for 3-4 more minutes.
5. Add a sprinkle of dried herbs that you have on hand. I used about 2 tbs. on herbs in total and it was a combination of sprinkles of rosemary, thyme, and sage. Also add the white wine at this stage and turn the heat up to cook down the wine for 5 minutes or so.
6. Slice the bread into bite sized pieces, drizzle with olive oil, and toast in the oven for a few minutes. You can always use crackers if you prefer.
I take the mushroom mixture, but it in a microwave safe bowl and store it in the fridge until I'm ready to assemble my appetizers. When I am ready, I nuke the mixture in the microwave for a minute so that it is nice and warm to serve.
7. Add cheese to the warm mushrooms and stir to combine.
8. Top each toast with a tsp. of the mushrooms and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment