Friday, February 4, 2011

Stuffed Baked French Toast

1993 was an exciting year for Phillies fans. Our team was finally back in the World Series after a long drought and we couldn't wait to cheer them on. Everywhere we turned there were signs and banners, celebrating the Phils. During this time of citywide excitement, my mom and my Aunt Karen decided that it would be the perfect opportunity to take a nice long weekend to a quaint Bed and Breakfast in the quiet, sleepy town of Cape May, NJ. The Queen Victoria was a beautiful, classic, and television-free establishment. This is how I know that my dad love my mom. He didn't leave her on the spot. The highlight of the trip was the delicious breakfast that they served so before leaving The Queen Vicky my dad picked up a copy of the house cookbook. He's made this French Toast for every big family function since 1993. I think he really likes it, but also, I think his therapist told him that it would help with the healing process. Either way, it's delicious. Sweet berries mixed with the sharp cream cheese and the eggy toast. This makes a rather large dish that could easily serve 8-10 people for brunch.
Stuffed Baked French Toast (adapted by my dad from The Queen Victoria Cookbook)
Ingredients:
20-24 slices cinnamon raisin bread
4 eggs
3 cups half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
dash nutmeg
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
40 oz. bag frozen berries
1. So first things first, you cut the crust off the bread. I offered to help my dad do this and he monitored me the entire time.
2. Combine half and half with 4 eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, and nutmeg in a medium size bowl.
3. Spray a 9x13 baking dish (or foil tray if you are taking it to-go) with non-stick spray and put down your first layer of bread. Slice a piece or two in half if needed to fill it in properly.
4. Cover the first layer with half of the liquid mixture.
5. Create the filling with cream cheese, 2 eggs, vanilla and 1/3 cup sugar. Whisk together until well combined.
6. Spread this mixture evenly over the wet bread.
7. Spread applesauce in a thin layer over the cream cheese layer.
8. You can use frozen berries or fresh. When we make it in the winter, obviously frozen is easier to come by.
Spread them out evenly over the dish.
9. Top with the final layer of bread.
10. Pour the remaining liquid over the whole french toast. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
11. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour until the top is only just slightly darker and the inside is oozing with fruity, creamycheesey goodness.

4 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm....reminds me of the Glass House!!! Glad to have this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this also pairs well with Mario Kart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i begrudge whoever got to eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cream cheese mixture did not look like yours, but nonetheless, it came out delicious. I halved it because I also made a savory strata with spinach and mushrooms for the non-sweet breakfast people. I think it'll be a Jewish Christmas tradition from now on.

    ReplyDelete