Monday, May 23, 2011

Guacamole a la Emily

I've been making and eating guacamole in various forms for many years. It is one of the first things that I think I made well. I've been working on the perfect recipe for my taste buds and I think I found it. My version is avocado heavy, almost an avocado dip. It is super smooth and creamy. The onion gives a great bite and the cilantro adds a punchy flavor. Guacamole is one of the only foods that I love so much that I can forgo my general dislike for making foods that need to be eaten immediately. Since the avocados get brown when the oxidize, like an apple or a potato, you can't really make guacamole very far in advance. That is why so many restaurants do the whole table-side preparation. The lime juice helps slow down the oxidation and if you want to make it up to 30 minutes before, you can do it and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the guacamole to keep out the air. It will hold in the fridge like that until you are ready to serve. Being Guacamole a la Emily and all, this is the way that I like it. You can change the proportions to suit your own tastes if you like.
Guacamole a la Emily
Ingredients:
3 avocados
1/2 medium red onion
1 lime
1/4 cup cilantro
salt and pepper
1. Scoop out the avocado flesh from the avocado. Bob gives the best avocado technique here (but whatever you do, don't cut your onion like he does).
2. Add the juice of one lime.
3. Chop half of the onion as finely as you can. Also finely chop up the cilantro and add it to the bowl. Sprinkle in about 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
3. Mash everything together with a fork or a potato masher until well combined. You aren't looking for a whipped smoothness, just evenly distributed flavor throughout.
Test for salt and pepper and add more if needed. Since you'll be serving it with chips that are also quite salty, you don't want to overwhelm people with salt. I always keep one of the avocado pits in there too because it is suppose to keep the avocado from turning brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment