Monday, June 13, 2011

Lemon Caper Fish Foil Packets

When Lauren comes to town for a visit, I like to pull out all the stops. I took her to the 11th Street block party, which turned out to be a very sketchy test tasting even for some new iced tea vodka. It was not as classy as I envisioned. To make it up to her, I made this for dinner. This is probably the dish that we ate most often in the summer while I was growing up. My mom would wrap my dad's catch of the day tight in foil with some type of seasoning and citrus and the fish would steam in the packet to tender perfection. I made a few changes to this version by adding capers. Their punchy bite balances out the fish nicely. Since putting a foil packet onto a grill is not quite as exact of a science as the oven, your main objective is cooking the fish properly. You will recognize this when the filet is opaque white and flakey in the thickest part. This means that it is cooked through. I gave mine 12 miuntes total on indirect heat on my charcoal grill and it was good to go. Lemon Caper Fish Foil Packets
Ingredients:
2 large white fish filets (I used Swai here)
1 lemon
2 tsp. capers
1/2 tsp. Herbs de Provance
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. dry white wine
salt and pepper

1. Slice the lemon into thin slices. Lay some slices on a large peice of foil and then set the fish filets on top of the lemon. Then top the fish with a few more slices of lemon.
2. Top the fish with capers, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and herbs dee provance. Also, dot the fish lightly with pieces of butter.
3. Add white wine and wrap the fish up into a foil packet. I usually use about 2 peices of foil to make sure that they are wrapped up tight enough for no juices to spill out.
4. I cooked this on the grill for 5 minutes and then flipped the pack to the other side and gave it another 5. I then flipped it back over and checked it. I let it go another 2 minutes on that side while I finished setting the table. The packets took a total of 12 minutes on the grill in the foil. You could also try to do it on a hot oven (425 degrees). Check it after about 12 minutes to test the fish.
I serve with a simple side salad, grilled vegetables, and garlic bread (I was too lazy to do any proper carbs) and it was my favorite dish of the summer so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment