Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mango Salsa

Since I am not a raw tomato lover, I make this simple fruity salsa quite often. It can be done with peach as well, but at this time of early summer, I love it with mangoes. This salsa comes together very quickly because it only has a few ingredients and it is the perfect compliment to most summer dishes. I love it with simply grilled fish or chicken and it also goes nicely with a pork chop. Something about the very sweet, soft mango with the sharp red onions and lime juice really makes this salsa pop. If you are serving it alongside a meat, it brings out the flavors of your meat dish and adds juiciness to your dish. I love it with grilled food because the char on the meat is really enhnaced by this salsa. It is even perfect just as it is, on a chip for dipping. It is so much more refreshing than tomato salsa so I love it on a very hot day. If you are a spicy food addict, you could chop up a jalepeno and add it to the mix for some additional heat. Mango Salsa
Ingredients:
1 ripe mango
1/2 red onion (or one small one)
1/2 lime
2-3 Tbs. fresh cilantro
salt and pepper

1. Dice the mango into salsa-sized pieces.
2. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime over the mango.
3. Add the finely chopped onion and cilantro.
4. Mix well and serve.
This will sit around in the fridge quite well, so you can make it in advance and let the flavors get all cozy in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. mangos - my favorite!
    I love my oxo mango slicer. Even through Alton Brown would disapprove of my single use kitchen tool . . I couldn't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alton Brown can disapprove all he wants. I heartily approve. But then again, I also have a cherry pitter, a pineapple core-er and about 400 other kitchen gadgets. Eventually, they are going to take over our whole apartment and Mark and I will be sleeping in a tent on the National Mall.

    ReplyDelete