Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer Vegetable and Goat Cheese Bake

This veggie bake came as a result of a refrigerator scavenger hunt gone terribly, terribly right. I knew that I had a few vegetables that needed to be used before they bit the dust. I also had half a log of goat cheese. I figured they might be good together. This is a fun summer side dish for a light meal, like fish, since the goat cheese is so rich. It is perfect because it transforms simple vegetables into a decadent side dish. I listed the vegetables that I used because I had them on hand. You can use any combination of vegetables that you like or have.Summer Vegetable and Goat Cheese Bake
Ingredients:
2 small yellow squash
1 large red pepper
1 medium Cubanelle pepper
4 oz. goat cheese
2 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. thyme
6 basil leaves
salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Thinly slice the vegetables. Put down one layer of vegetables on the bottom of a small casserole dish.
2. Whisk together goat cheese and milk. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix in the chopped parsley and thyme leaves.
3. Dollop all of the goat cheese mixture on top of the first layer of vegetables and spread out evenly.
4. Top with the rest of the vegetables.
5. Drizzle the top with olive oil, sprinkle and salt and pepper, and top with basil leaves.
6. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes until bubbling and slightly browned.
7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes to firm up and serve.
Make sure to get some of each layer of goodness in every serving.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. It is 3:45am and I want this so badly right now.

    Helpful hint to fellow readers: pretend you're a gremlin and avoid CSK after midnight.

    ReplyDelete