Monday, August 1, 2011

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not a chocoholic in the traditional sense of the word. If you offered me a chocolate bar or a bag of chips, I'd take the chips (unless they were Ruffles, of course - I don't trust Ruffles). That being said, sometimes I have the most undeniable craving for a deeply chocolate, soft, chewy baked delight. I'm like a chocolate werewolf. It can happen any time, any place and I just need to go with it. Sometimes I get my fix in the form of Crumbs Cupcakes which are dangerously located across the street from my office. Then I feel guilty for days. When I am being particularly proactive, I make my own chocoholic elixir. Like I said, I want my cookies to be chewy and soft. These ones fit that bill perfectly. They are very easy make - you don't even need a mixer, but I used mine out of sheer laziness (and I didn't want it to get mad at me from neglect). The next time the chocolate hunger strikes, I will probably turn to these simple treats again.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
10 Tbs. butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup each white and wheat flour (or you could use 2 cups of white)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 bag milk chocolate chips

1. Melt the butter in the microwave and beat together the melted butter with the sugars until well combined.
2. Add the eggs and continue to whip until the mixture becomes light and airy.
3. Add the cocoa, baking powder and soda, salt and both flours. Stir until just combined.
I like using whole wheat flour, even in cookies. Not really because it is slightly healthier, but because it adds another layer of flavor. With the richness of double chocolate, the hearty, almost nutty whole wheat flour gives great depth. I keep the whole wheat flour in the freezer because it can go bad. If you don't have whole wheat flour, by all means, use all white flour.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Using a small scoop or tablespoon, drop the cookies onto a lined sheet tray.
You can make them larger if you like big cookies. I like these ones to be small and basically 2-bite sized. That way, I can eat 10 before I start even feeling a little bit guilty.

6. Bake them in a preheated 325 degree oven for 12-15 minutes until the cookies are just cooked, but still soft inside.
Allow them to cool and store in airtight container for up to a week...if they last that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment