Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce

This is cold, rainy day heaven. I made this one night when I was in a really bad mood and this dish lifted me right out of my funk. I admit to being addicted to eggs that have the whites just barely cooked and ooey gooey yolks that I can scoop up with some delicious bread. That is my idea of perfection. The best part is how simple it is to make this one-pan meal. You make a quick tomato sauce (if you happen to have a jar of sauce around...no one will know that you didn't make sauce from scratch) and then crack you eggs into the sauce and bake in a hot oven until they are just about over easy. The thick tomato sauce is both savory and sweet, which mingles beautifully with the runny egg yolk. I loved this simple supper and I hope you give it a try.
Baked Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients:
1 pint tomatoes
1 small onion
2 plump garlic cloves
red pepper flakes
2 links sausage (optional)
1/2 cup white wine
4 eggs
salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium high heat in an oven-safe pan (I used by cast iron skillet) and add the tomatoes. Let them sear in the hot oil for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and let cook together for another 4 minutes.
3. Remove the tomatoes and onions to your blender and blend with 1/2 cup white wine until smooth.


4. Remove the sausage casing (or just cut into small hunks) and brown the sausage in the hot skillet for 5 minutes. Really break it up so that there aren't big pieces of sausage. You want it to distribute into the sauce.
5. Add the sauce to the pan and remove from the heat.
6. Make 4 little wells with a spoon and crack the eggs into the pan. I think it is easier to crack the eggs into a small bowl and them add them to the pan.
7. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, until the eggs are just set.
Serve with crusty bread and enjoy.

One Year Ago: Curried Eggplant

No comments:

Post a Comment