Monday, September 19, 2011

Potato and Spinach Curry

I'm a sucker for curry. I admit it. My favorite thing about curries is that you can usually make them without any "fresh" ingredients, yet they taste incredibly fresh and they are healthy. What I mean really is that you make up the curry with things that are pantry staples, so that you don't need to run out to the store to make it. I always have an onion around and a can of chick peas and coconut milk. You know we've always got a spare beer in the fridge so there is my curry base made. Then I can throw in whatever veggies I happen to have. This week it was potatoes and a bag of frozen spinach. Amazing combination. If you've got cauliflower instead of potatoes, go for it...ooh. That gives me a good idea for my next curry... Anyway, I highly recommend this combination of spinach, chick peas, and potatoes. They all become creamy in the thick sauce but they retain lightness that is great for a stormy summer night. I serve this with cous cous and it is a one pot meal. What more could I want? Oh I know...it freezes beautifully. I made this big pot for Mark and I and I froze half of it in a plastic bag. Next time I am craving curry, I'll pop the bag from the freezer into the fridge before I head to work and all I'll need to do for dinner is heat it up.Potato and Spinach Curry
Ingredients:
15 small boiling potatoes
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 lb. bag frozen spinach
1 can chick peas
1 can coconut milk
1 beer
2 Tbs. curry powder
1 lime
salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Slice potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces and chop the onion and garlic. Heat 3 Tbs. olive oil on medium-high heat in a heavy bottom pot and add the chopped vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.One key to making flavorful curry is to season the curry with salt at every stage. Each ingredient (potatoes, spinach, beans, coconut milk) needs the salt to bring out the flavor, so make sure you season at every step. Don't worry, I'll remind you.

2. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so that they don't stick. Then add the frozen spinach and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Let the spinach cook for 5 minutes so that the frost has come off and add the can of chick peas.
4. Stir this together so that the ingredients are well incorporated and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Allow to cook together for another 5 minutes and then add the coconut milk and beer.
6. Also add the curry powder and another generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
7. For freshness, squeeze the juice of one lime into the curry and stir through.
8. Test for seasoning and add more salt or pepper, if needed.
Serve up over a bed of cous cous or rice and enjoy.

One Year Ago: Arroz con Pollo

No comments:

Post a Comment