Friday, October 14, 2011

Huevos Rancheros

My sister came to town and we had a huge wild party (read: a few friends over to play Apples to Apples) in her honor. The next morning, I knew that I needed to make a yummy breakfast treat to get us ready for a big day of watching the Eagles be terrible. I love eating Huevos Rancheros and I'm completely on board with cooking eggs in the oven. My friend Ryan makes this dish and, although I couldn't weasel his recipe out of him, I did manage to steal his technique and this breakfast really turned out well. I absolutely love the sharp, lime, salsa contrasted with the creamy eggs and the crispy tortillas. The ratio of tomatoes to peppers to onions can be adjusted based on what you've got on hand. I had a lot of peppers and a handful of cherry tomatoes. I'd prefer more tomatoes (any kind will work), but the pepper-heavy version was fantastic too. My tortillas were a little busted up (they'd gotten a little wet and stuck together) so I just laid the pieces on a tray. Really, it is easier to use one tortilla per person. You can make this in larger quantities easily so this would actually be a fun choice for a small breakfast gathering. I love it and I will make it over and over again.
Huevos Rancheros
Ingredients:
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup peppers
1 jalapeno pepper
1 medium onion
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
salt and pepper
4 flour tortillas
1/2 cup cheddar or jack cheese
3 eggs

1. Chop and de-seed peppers and roughly chop the onion.
2. Set the peppers, onions, and tomatoes on a baking tray, toss with oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
3. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes begin to pop open and the vegetables start to caramelize and become tender.
4. Blend the roasted vegetables in the blender with the juice of one lime (add some water if needed to make the salsa blend).
5. Toast the tortillas (my picture is funky because my tortillas were stuck together. You should use whole tortillas if you've got 'em) in the 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or so until they just begin to get toasted.
6. Spread the salsa evenly over the tortillas leaving some room around the edges (like you are spreading sauce on mini-tortilla pizzas).
7. Sprinkle evenly with grated cheese.
8. Make a little well in the salsa and cheese of each tortilla and crack an egg into each little well. I find that it is easier to crack the egg into a little bowl and pour it on the pizza.
If anyone doesn't like runny yolks, you can break the yolk for that person.

9. Bake in the 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes until the eggs are cooked to about over-easy.
10. You can garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro, or any other toppings you like.

One Year Ago:
deconstruction minibar 1, 2, 3 Thanks, Mark!

1 comment:

  1. it was delicious!! thank you for being the very best hostess!

    ReplyDelete