Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Saucy Chicken Thighs in the Crock Pot

When you go to Graffiato, Mike Isabella's new restaurant in DC, he serves his famous Peperoni Sauce with a chicken thigh. The chicken is braised in the sauce to perfection and it seriously melts in your mouth. This is an amazingly perfect dish that I am sure Mike doesn't make in a crock pot. Even so, I simplify it a little and make it crock pot friendly so that you can have this amazing dinner on the table after work with very little effort. You certainly don't need the Sopressata Sauce that I used. You can very easily use a store bought tomato sauce. Add a splash of white wine to thin it out a bit, maybe a splash of hot sauce and some red pepper flakes to spice it up and you won't miss a beat. Saucy Chicken Thighs in the Crock Pot
Ingredients:
4-5 chicken thighs
2 1/2 cups Sopressata Sauce (or other tomato sauce)
1 onion
1 jalapeno
red pepper flakes (to taste)
salt and pepper

1. Chop the onion and pepper and add them to the crock pot along with your sauce. Add red pepper flakes to taste. The Sopressata Sauce that I made wasn't super thick. If the sauce that you are using is very thick, I suggest cutting it with some white wine, water, or stock.

2. Generously sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place them into the crock pot (I was literally rushing out the door while Mark was hustling me along so this picture is a blurry nightmare).
3. Cook on the lowest setting (warm on my crock pot) for 8 hours.
4. When you get home from work, remove the chicken pieces to a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with just a hint of sauce and a little drizzle of olive oil.
5. Put the chicken under the broiler for 10 minutes to crisp up the skin.
6. Serve the chicken with some lots of sauce from the crock pot.

One Year Ago: Katie Thomas' Award Winning Meatballs





2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I can do this in my very own Sopressata Sauce. Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great. Mom and I both enjoyed the chicken and sauce immensely. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete