Friday, December 2, 2011

Smoked Salmon Fritata

When I went home for Thanksgiving, my parents spoiled me rotten. How is that any different from my entire childhood? It isn't. I've been hopelessly spoiled by my very generous mom and dad for my whole life. Good thing that I developed into such a perfectly unaffected and fabulously humble person anyway... Back on the home-front, my dad made my mom and I breakfast and of course we can't just be pointed to the cereal and milk. We need a smoked salmon fritata thank-you-very-much. This was the best egg dish that my dad has ever made. That is saying something since he's probably made almost a thousand to date. He adapted this recipe from his girl Ina but he made it 500x better when he added BACON. Smoke salmon and bacon? Why not? It makes it totally over the top in such a great way. If you have family coming to town for the holidays, this would be a great dish to serve. You can alter it in any way you like and make the perfect, decadent breakfast treat.Smoked Salmon Fritata (adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
Ingredients:
1/2 medium onion
1 Tbs. butter
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 oz. feta cheese
1/4 pound smoked salmon, chopped
2 scallions
3 slices bacon
hot sauce
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbs. fresh chives
salt and pepper

1. Finely chop the onion and the scallions and saute them over medium heat in the butter.
2. Cook the bacon in your preferred method (my dad bakes his) and crumble it up to add to the fritata later.
3. Beat your eggs and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the cheese.
4. Add the milk, hot sauce, paprika, crumbled bacon, and chives and stir to combine. Slice the smoked salmon into bite-sized pieces and add to the egg mixture. 5. Add the egg mixture to the onion pan and then put the whole pan into a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fritata) until the fritata puffs up and it cooked through.
Slice up and serve to your adoring breakfast public.

One Year Ago: Potato Latkes for Hanukkah

No comments:

Post a Comment