Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Butternut Squash, Beet and Goat Cheese Casserole

My sister brought this dish to our Thanksgiving dinner back home in Jersey and it was a smash hit. It has Christmas dinner side dish written all over, I think. I really loved and I highly recommend for anyone who wants to spice up their side dishes this holiday season. Take it away, Katie:

We go to Audrey Claire more than I would care to admit, and this was a new addition to their fall menu. I had this the last time we went there and I said to myself "self, you can make this!" and so I did. Mine was obviously not as delicious as Audrey's version so I will keep my day job :)Butternut Squash, Beet and Goat Cheese Casserole
Ingredients:
10-12 beets
1 butternut squash
1 small log goat cheese
cayenne pepper
brown sugar
salt
olive oil

1. Place whole beets into a roasting dish, drizzle them with olive oil and roast in 400 degree oven for 1 hour 30 minutes (or until tender when poked with a knife).
2. Peel butternut squash, slice in half and remove seeds. Slice the squash into 1 inch pieces. Set the squash into another baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and salt. After the beets have been in the oven for an hour, add the tray with the squash and roast them for last 30 minutes.
3. Allow beets to cool slightly enough to handle. Use paper towels (you will need a lot) to rub the skin off of the beets. It should be fairly easy if you have used enough olive oil when roasting them.

I recommend wearing gloves so that you don't have red hands for days.
4. Cut the peeled beets into 1 inch chunks and sprinkle with salt.
5. Put beets down first in baking dish and layer squash on top of the beets. Crumble the goat cheese on top of the squash and return to a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes to warm and slightly melt the goat cheese.
If you are taking this dish to-go for a pot luck, you can do the warming once you get there.


One Year Ago: Aunt Nanette's Life Altering Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment