Monday, December 12, 2011

Caramelized Cocktail Onions

OK - so maybe serving cocktail onions as a side dish isn't the classiest thing I've ever come up with, but it certainly is delicious. I am a total onion lover and when they are all sweet and caramelized, I couldn't be happier. Typically this dish would be made with small Chippolini Onions that you would have to peel individually. Maybe another time of year, but it is too hectic around the holidays to bother with all of that. Two jars of drained cocktails onions and you are good to go. This dish is slightly sweet and tangy from the vinegar and has a deep flavor from the caramelization. I love it as a simple side dish and I will keep it in my holiday arsenal for a long time.Caramelized Cocktail Onions
Ingredients:
2 (15 oz.) jars cocktail onions
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. honey
salt and pepper
dash cayenne pepper
olive oil

1. Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add the drained onions, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
2. Add the balsamic vinegar and honey and stir so that both are well incorporated. 3. Allow to cook for another 8-10 minutes until the vinegar is thickened and the onions are nice and tender.

One Year Ago: Cod Poached in Tomato Sauce with Homemade Pasta

3 comments:

  1. I bought frozen pearl onions from Trader Joe's and I am going to make this happen...yum! <3 Wage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note, I was just reading your newest entry and I found myself coming back to this recipe. Those frozen pearl onions are still in my freezer. FAIL. I will again attempt to make this delicious looking side before I move out of my place next week. <3 Wage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahha. I do that ALL the time. Then the item in question is always looking up at my from my freezer/pantry/fridge so smugly until I finally use it or throw it away in shame.

    We'll miss you, lady! Keep in touch! Let us visit:)

    ReplyDelete