Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hamantashens for Purim

Purim is the holiday that we celebrate each spring and it comes from the story of Ester. My gmom always made us lots of hamantashen with lots of delicious lemon zest in the dough. Apricot is a traditional filling so I like to use that, but I also had strawberry jam so I used that as well. My friend over at Capitol to Capital suggested this recipe so I gave it a try because for my money, the shape of the hamantashen is very important. You want a dough that isn't going to blob all over the place. Making these cookies is a family affair. You make the dough, cut the cookies, fill and shape them, and then bake them up. Mark and I made our first hamantashen together last night and they were divine. I love the crumbly, buttery cookies and the sweet jam. They were also super fun to make with someone I love. Happy Purim!Hamantashens (makes about 2 dozen)
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (one for dough, one for egg wash)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. water
1 tsp. lemon zest (zest from 1/2 lemon)
Strawberry and apricot jam (or whatever jam you like)

1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. Cream the room temperature butter and the sugar together in your mixer for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
3. Add 1 Tbs. of the flour mixture, one egg, lemon zest, water, and vanilla. Continue to mix for 2 minutes until well incorporated.
4. Add in the flour and mix until just combined.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out your dough on a well floured board to about 1/4 inch.
7. Using a cookie cutter (or I use a cup), cut about 2-inch circles from your dough.
8. Plop about 1 tsp. jam into the center.
9. Dampen your finger with water and run it around the edge of the dough round to help the dough stick. Make a little three corner hat and pinch the dough with your fingers. You want the edges to be tight together so that they don't open up while baking.
10. Set the cookies on a lined baking sheet. Beat the other egg in a bowl and brush lightly on top of the cookies so that they get beautifully golden. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until the cookies are just beginning to get some color.
11. Cool completely so you don't burn yourself with scalding hot jam.
We also had a very happy day yesterday in our family. My cousin Jordan and his wife Rachel welcomed their son Calvin Thomas Bennett yesterday. He is so hansom and I know I love him already. He better get prepared for lots of hugging, snuggling, and smooching when Auntie Emily comes a'visiting.

One Year Ago: Dog Biscuits for Pepper

1 comment:

  1. I made hamantaschen for purim too!! apricot and the real winner....chocolate peanut butter! those were amazing!

    ReplyDelete