Mark ran the Cherry Blossom 10 mile race this weekend and in a very selfish attempt to avoid having to schlep down to watch, I made brunch for us and our friends at the house after the race. These muffins were a big hit. They are soft and slightly sweet, but have a sharpness from the addition of plain, Greek yogurt. I love making them and eating them, so they are the perfect little brunch treat.
Strawberry Muffins (Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
10 Tbs. butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
zest from 1 lemon
1 tsp. almond extract
3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 pint strawberries
1. If I am making these muffins for breakfast, I like to measure everything out the night before in Tupperware so that I don't have to think first thing in the morning. Plus, since you want the butter, eggs, and yogurt at room temperature, the will be overnight.
2. Cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Then add the eggs, yogurt, lemon zest and almond.
3. Add the baking powder, soda, and salt. Then add the flour and stir until just combined.
4. Slice the strawberries into quarters and add them to the batter and fold in gently.
My sister got my this adorable mini-bundt pan so I used this, but any muffi tins would do.
5. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray and fill each about 3/4 full.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, until slightly brown and cohttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifoked through.
7. Cool on a baking rack and enjoy!
One Week Ago: "Grilled" Baby Bok Choy