Friday, June 15, 2012

Deviled Eggs with Fresh Dill

Deviled Eggs are all the rage in restaurants these days. I know why. They are dirt cheap to make and yuppies love them. One yuppie in particular, who happens to live with me, absolutely loves them.  There is no end to the combinations of things that you can put in your deviled egg filling and I've seen so many different things in restaurants lately.  I am not so big into the wasabi-chipotle-truffle-blah-blah-blah deviled eggs that I've seen.  I like the classic: dill.  Something about dill really goes with deviled eggs and I just love it.  I also love to cut the mayo by using Dijon mustard to bind the filling too.  Not only does it add great flavor, but in enhances the beautiful color of the egg filing.  Win-win.  These are great made in quantity for a BBQ or they are fun as an easy, make-ahead appetizer for a small, casual dinner party.  If you are transporting them for a party, I suggest scooping all of the filling into a plastic bag and snipping of the end of the bag and piping the filling into the eggs when you get there.  No fuss!
Deviled Eggs with Fresh Dill
Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 Tbs. light mayonnaise
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. fresh dill
salt and pepper

1.  Place the eggs in a pot of cold water and bring the water to a boil over high heat.  Let boil for 1 minute and turn off the heat.  Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 5 minutes and remove.  Perfect every time.
2.  Slice your slightly cooled egs in half.
3.  Scoop the yolks into a bowl and put the whites on a plate to serve later.  I've seen a million cute ways to serve them.  People pour dry lentils, yellow peas, etc. on a plate and set the eggs on top so taht they don't slide all around.  This is cute for a party, but in general I am too laxy for cutsy presentation.
4.  Finely chop the dill.
5.  Combine yolks, dill, mayo, mustard, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
6.  Fill the eggs back up with a heaping spoonfull of filling and keep refridgerated until you are ready to serve.

One Year Ago: Mango Salsa
Two Years Ago: Tio Roberto's Peruvian Cebiche

No comments:

Post a Comment