Monday, July 30, 2012

Cold Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup

Fresh yellow bell peppers operate in much the same way my cell phone minutes operate.  Use 'em or loose 'em.  My mom brought a bag of beautiful yellow peppers on vacation and we needed to use them up pronto.  But while we are on vacation, I don't really want anything hot.  This cold soup turned out to the the perfect, refreshing lunch or first course for dinner while we were there.  It was unique and made our leisurely vacation lunches feel special, but it was simple to make and suited everyone perfectly.  I'm sure I will be making this again when I have another batch of peppers on hand.  It would be nice with orange or red peppers too (I don't know how much I'd want to eat a green soup, though) and you can certainly serve it warm if you prefer.  The sweetness from the peppers is brought out through roasting them in the broiler.  Then you have a smokey charred flavor from the broil and depth from the cumin and curry powder.  This soup keeps nicely and also freezes very well.  I made a big batch (enough for 4-5 large bowls).
Cold Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup
Ingredients:
5 yellow peppers
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp each paprika, curry powder, cumin
salt and pepper

1.  To roast the peppers, arrange them on a baking sheet and set them under the broiler.  No oil, salt or pepper at this point.
2.  Broil them for 4-5 minutes per side and then flip the peppers to the next side.  You'll need to broil each side so that the skin is blackened and blistered.
3.  I then run them under cold water in the sink which makes the skins easily peel right away.
4.  Coarsley chop the onion and garlic.  Toss with 1 Tbs. olive oil and salt and pepper.  Roast for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
5.  Put the roasted peppers, onions, and garlic into the blender with sour cream, wine, and water.  Add spices and another sprinkle of salt and pepper.
6.  Chill in the fridge and then serve.  I like it with a small dollop of sour cream and chopped scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment